Search This Blog

Monday, July 16, 2018

A HOUSE MADE OF CEMENT AND SOAP BUBBLES? MAYBE! (Part 1)

Before I explain this silly title, please bear with me while I lay out some background.  I will try to be brief.

For many years, I have intended to build a small, off grid, house or cabin.  I don't like large houses, so something in the large tiny house size range should suit my needs.  Style and building materials have been the real questions.

Standard wood frame construction is one obvious choice, as is the classic log cabin, but both have some down sides.  A few examples are termites (or the alternative of insecticides), rot and fire.  Also, square lumber tends to equal square corners.  I am not fond of square corners.

Natural stone is a consideration, and I have lots of stone.  Unfortunately, the stone I have is not good building stone.  Stone structures also tend to be damp and cold in winter, making insulation an issue.

Foam construction is another option.  Free form construction, insulation value and insect resistance are all on the plus side.  However, it IS plastic, and honestly, I am not sure I can picture myself spending the rest of my life in a foam ice chest, no matter how awesome it might be.

Cobb and earth bag both seem to be reasonable materials, and could serve my purpose well.  Availability of material is one major consideration standing in the way.  They both take dirt, as opposed to the mix of dirt and rock (heavy on the rock) available on my property.

Other methods seemed less reasonable, so it seemed that wood frame would have to be the choice.  Treated wood and as much metal and stone as possible should work well enough.

Quite unexpectedly, a couple of months ago, I met an individual at an event, and talk turned to alternative construction.  He mentioned aircrete (aka cellular concrete).  Yes, as the title of this post implies, cement and soap bubbles.  If you find the thought absurd, you are not alone.  My reaction was politely skeptical to say the least.  However, as the conversation continued, it became clear that, at the very least, there would not be issues with termites, rot or fire.

Further research found claims of strength, versatility and excellent insulation value (even in the far north).  Low material cost and minimal equipment also hit the positive list.

Despite all the positive reports, I am always a skeptic.  I want comparisons and test results before I am willing to spend the time, work and cash based on what I hear.  Not finding test results. I am making my own.  Parts 2 and 3 of this post will include, equipment and proceedures, and test results.  I look forward to your questions and input.

Thank You for your time and interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment