Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

SPOT FOR CABIN: CLEARED AND READY

Over a week ago, I posted about the location for my new off grid cabin.  The photo (which I show here again for comparison) showed a cluttered, overgrown area.  Since that time, I have spent some time cleaning up the trash and clutter and have cut a good amount of brush.  There is still some work to be done around the edges, but that can be done later as the need demands and time allows.

The next step will be to lay out and dig the footing and set up the metal reinforcement for the walls.  After that, the footing and floor will be poured.  The big delays will be finances, and cold temperatures as winter comes on, so I will be saving up for the cement and soap bubbles while taking the time to dig and reinforce.  This is going to be a slow process, but I will keep you posted.

As for the trees around the edge, most will have to go.  These last two photos show what is currently the view from where the front porch will be.  I really like the trees there, but they will grow to be pretty big, and being Red Maple, they will also have large roots running at or near the surface for a good distance, making them destructive to the house.  This is something that everyone should seriously consider when building or when planting trees near a structure.

Most of the trees, certainly all of the maples and elms, will be removed before the house is finished.  They will not be wasted, however.  Some of the smaller of the lot will make very nice, light weight walking staffs, while some of the larger maples may be used in the woodworking shop.  Others may be used for growing gourmet mushrooms.  I will let you know what I decide as things progress.

Thank you for taking the time to view this post, and please feel free to question or comment.  I look forward to hearing from you.


No comments:

Post a Comment