Search This Blog

Saturday, January 12, 2019

NEIGBORS, FENCE BUILDING AND FIREWOOD

My neighbor contacted me back in mid October saying that he was ready to get the fence row between my property and his cleared so the fence on two sides of his property could be partly replaced and partly re-stretched.  He had scheduled a bulldozer to do the clearing (at his expense) the following week.

I had set stretch posts and bought goat wire about 5 years ago, with the intention of turning part of that fence into one side of a goat pasture.  Infections in my feet and legs had prevented me from continuing the project, for quite some time but by now I am back able to stay on my feet long enough to get some work done.  The timing was great.

Over the next few days, I took down barbed wire from the stretch which would be the new goat fence, and waited for the bulldozer.  Turns out that the bulldozer operator was a longtime friend who I have had do work in the past.  Awesome.  He did a wonderful job and worked around the line posts so I didn't have to pull and re-drive them which saved a good bit of work.

There were several trees that were too big to be pushed with a small bulldozer, so I agreed to cut them.  The neighbor needed a few ricks of wood so I traded it to him to cover my part of the clearing cost.  He had not intended for me to pay anything, so there was a bit of negotiation involved.  In the end, he accepted enough wood to cover my part of the bulldozing, then bought a couple more for cash.


When the clearing was done, the neighbor replaced the really old fence and re-stretched part of the newer fence.  I re-stretched part and replaced the rest with goat fence.  I finished my part on New Years Eve.

It is good to finally have that much of the fence finished.  Now I can continue with the rest of the goat pasture.

Sorry there aren't more photos.  I really must start taking the camera with me wherever I go.


No comments:

Post a Comment