Search This Blog

Sunday, January 27, 2019

SOLAR PANNELS UP AND WORKING!!!!


Storm damage at the end of November, unexpectedly took me off grid earlier than expected (as stated in previous posts).  Since that time, I have been using my computer, battery chargers, etc., at my sister's house until I can get solar up and working.

Refund of my deposit from the power company was enough to purchase a 100 watt solar kit from Harbor Freight, but it could not be installed until the tree was off the house.  With that task finished a few days ago, it was time to install the solar.

Since the main thing I am using electricity for is the office, the most logical place for the panels would be on the roof near enough the office for the wires to reach.  This leads to the first real challenge.  The roof slopes to the east and west, while the panels need to face the south.  A platform would have to be built for the panels, so they could face the proper direction.  

To make the platform, I built two stands to match the angle of the roof, one for each side of the ridge.  After sealing underneath       them with roof cement, they were attached to the roof with screws.  An old door attached across the stands serves as a platform.    

With the platform up and solid, the solar panels were assembled according to instructions.  They were then attached to the platform and the cables were hooked up.  With the charge controller hooked to the battery, the input wire was hooked up, completing the circuit.  Even though the sun was almost down by this point, the panels started charging. 


I hooked it up with two batteries to add power, and with the rising sun, they began to charge nicely.  Yes, I was excited!  At the rate it was charging, the batteries would reach full charge long before evening and I would be able to use the computer at home again. With this in mind, I arrived at home with my computer later that evening only to find that my batteries were not fully charged.  I thought perhaps the panels had not put out enough, since the day had been a bit overcast.  Pushing down my disappointment, I resolved to wait until the next evening. 

Morning came and the sky was clear.  Surely there would be fully charged batteries by evening.  Not so!  Turns out that one of the batteries was bad making it impossible to charge them.  Unhooking the bad battery, allowed the good one to reach full charge quickly.  Now, I could certainly use the computer.  OR NOT!!!


The inverter I hooked up was one I had purchased a few years ago and used for a while.  It had been stored for a couple of years but still worked (or at least it seemed to).  It seemed that everything 
worked fine, except the computer and the router.  Neither of them would even come on.  Turns out that though my inverter comes on and puts out the correct voltage, it is not putting out enough amps to run anything that pulls much power.  It will now be a little while before the budget will allow for a new inverter.  Meanwhile, my computer is back at my sister's house until I can run it at home.  At my place, I simply have a little light and an expensive phone charger for the time being.  Wish me luck!! 









No comments:

Post a Comment